- Lighting is very important.
- Make sure to choose a shoot time that gives you good natural light.
- Careful with the mid-day sun pounding down on you. Can you say over exposed?
- Choose a nice shallow depth of field (DOF). Makes for good clear focus where you want it.
- Be Creative! Take a few minutes to think about who you’re planning to shoot.
- Look at everyone else’s portraits. I’ve learned quite a bit looking at all the participants’ portraits.
- Keep reading.
- StudioLighting.net has great articles for those with limited budgets who want to use some lighting.
I know there’s so much more. I just wanted to help a bit. Too much information, and you’d read this article, but NOT do anything about it. Just offering you a handful of important tips, I think you’re more likely to apply what works for you. What have you learned? Comment away!